PUBLIC HEARING BEFORE THE CITY COUNCIL
(Legislative – LOC 50.75.025)
Hearing Date, Time, and Location:
Tuesday, March 5, 2013; 7:00 p.m.
City Council Chambers
380 A Avenue
Lake Oswego, OR 97034
File Number: LU 12-0047 (Ordinance 2603)
Applicant: City of Lake Oswego
Location of Property: Properties on Oswego Lake, Blue Heron Canal, Lakewood Bay, and West Bay. To view a map of the proposed revisions to the flood management area, visit http://bit.ly/RoTz4W and click on the Flood Management Area Map under the heading Notices/Announcements.
Nature of Application and Use or Uses which could be authorized:
Proposed Ordinance No. 2603 (LU 12-0047), has been drafted to comply with Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) regulations for Flood Insurance.
* The Flood Insurance Rate Map, prepared by FEMA, is used to determine the location of the floodplain and what rates are charged for flood insurance. The City of Lake Oswego’s Flood Management Area Map (Figures 50.05.011-A through D in the Lake Oswego Community Development Code) is based on the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map and the area of inundation during the flood of 1996. The City’s Flood Management Area Map is used to determine where City floodplain regulations apply.
* The City of Lake Oswego received a Letter of Map Revision from FEMA, dated April 9, 2012, effective August 24, 2012. The FEMA letter revises the Flood Insurance Study Report and Flood Insurance Rate Map to reflect lower floodplain levels that result from the recent improvements to the Oswego Lake Dam spillway.
* The map revisions decrease the estimated Base Flood Elevation (commonly referred to as the 100 year floodplain) for Oswego Lake by approximately four feet. Revisions also note changes for portions of Oswego Creek below the Oswego Lake Dam; FEMA does not have an established Base Flood Elevation for this area.
* Map amendments reflect the revisions above. Text amendments update references to the amended maps.
On December 10, 2012, the Planning Commission recommended that the City Council approve Ordinance 2603 amending the Flood Management Area to be consistent with the Flood Insurance Rate Map, prepared by FEMA. The City Council will hold a public hearing on the proposed amendments on March 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM.
Inquiries regarding the proposal may be directed to Denny Egner, Asst. Planning Director, (503) 697-6576. For information about the public hearing, contact Catherine Schneider, City Recorder, (503) 675-3984.
How to Comment:
Bring or mail written comments to:
Catherine Schneider, City Recorder
Phone: (503) 675-3984 Fax: (503) 697-6594
Third Floor, City Hall
380 A Avenue
Post Office Box 369
Lake Oswego, Oregon 97034
You may attend the hearing and comment under the section for public testimony. For more about the hearing procedures, contact staff.
The City Council may make a preliminary decision following the hearing. The final City Council decision must be made by adoption of writing findings outlining the reasons for the decision. That action usually takes place at the next regular Council meeting.
Time Limits on Testimony:
The purpose of time limits on testimony is to provide all interested persons with an adequate opportunity to present and respond to testimony while at the same time ensuring that the hearing can be conducted in an efficient and expeditious manner. The following time limits on testimony shall be observed, but may be changed by the Council:
Testimony will be taken in the following order: in support of amendment, in opposition to amendment, neutral.
* 10 minutes for a representative of a recognized neighborhood association, homeowner association, or government agency, or other incorporated public interest organization;
* 5 minutes for other persons.
Publish 02/21/2013. LOR12905